Toxic Garden Plants

Toxic Garden Plants

Although you may use your garden as a relaxing sanctuary, there may be danger lurking in its allure, especially in the case of younger children and your family pets. Some beautiful plants you cherish for their beauty can easily be disguised as toxic killers if ingested within minutes, whether they're consumed accidentally or out of curiosity. Here are some common types to be aware of.


Foxglove is a mysterious-looking plant that can grow as high as 3 feet tall with drooping white, pink, or purple flowers along a central stalk that sometimes has dots inside. Digitalis purpurea is its Latin name, which may sound a bit familiar to you since the plant's leaves are a commercial resource of the heart drug known as Digitalis. If any part of the foxglove is consumed, you'll likely suffer an episode of nausea, cramps, diarrhea, and mouth pain.


Wisterias create dreamy sweetpea-like flower cascades with rich pink, blue, or white colors from vines that mainly grow in the South. The whole plant is considered toxic. Eating this plant will induce nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and cramps that may require treatments such as anti-nausea pills or intravenous hydration.


Both rhododendrons and azalea bushes, with their attractive bell-shaped flowers, look beautiful in the springtime. However, their leaves are pretty toxic, and the honey is derived from the flower's nectar. Consuming these evergreen shrubs will burn your mouth along with increased salivation, a tingling sensation in your skin, diarrhea, and vomiting. Dim vision, weak muscles, and headaches will likely follow. Also, your heart rate may beat strangely or slow down. In some cases, you could even slip into a coma and experience a fatal convulsion.


This pretty flowery bush is a typical yard ornament that can reach heights of 15 feet high with greenish-white, deep blue, or rose-colored flowers that form large clusters and look as safe to eat as cotton candy to a small child or pet. However, those enticing blooms will cause stomachaches that can develop hours after consumption.


Every square inch of the entire oleander is toxic, different from other plants that may only have poisonous sap or flowers. Even accidentally inhaling the smoke from burning oleander is toxic. Other issues may arise from using them as marshmallow roasting sticks or drinking the water where the clusters of white, pink, or red flowers were placed. Usually, the symptoms include an abnormal heart rate, whether it's palpitations or slowing down.


These lovely drooping flowers also referred to as mayflowers, are 100 percent toxic, from the very end of their small bell-shaped flowers that demurely fall away like parted hair to the water where they're placed. Ingesting just a bit of the flower will likely be okay. But, if a great deal is consumed, be ready for nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea, and mouth pain. It's also likely that your heart rate will become irregular or slow down.


Frequently called mums, these attractive flowers' yellow and orange varieties are usually showcased in the fall around Halloween and Thanksgiving on the front steps of people's homes. There are around 200 species of mums, and although they usually grow relatively close to the ground, they can turn into shrubs. Gardeners often plant mums to deter rabbits, and the flower heads can be somewhat toxic to humans. Touching them can potentially make your skin inflamed or itch.

Although extreme cases of plant poisoning are rare, be mindful that some domestic garden plant varieties can potentially present a hazard, leading to allergies or skin reactions.